KXTA - The Story

Since 1923, KTXA (nee KRKD) had been broadcasting from the Montecito Heights area of Los Angeles with a power of 5,000 watts. The power was limited by other stations either on or close to 1150.

If we had used more power, we would have interfered with them. The station that was causing the most concern was KBAI, licensed to Morro Bay, in Northern California. For a number of years, Mike got regular calls from the woman who owned KBAI, asking if there wasn't some way we could reduce our signal in her direcion to allow her more coverage. Needless to say, the wasn't much possibility of that.

In 1996, Mike found that KBAI had been sold. Contacting the new owner, he found that the atation was for sale. He also figured that if KIIS bought the station and shut it off, we could get a tremendous increase in the power KIIS-AM could use.

Shortly after Jacor bought KIIS, they also bought KBAI, and the plan was put into action. KIIS was going to have 50,000 watts!

About this time, the KIIS-AM call letters were changed to KXTA, the format was changed to all-sports, and the station became the flagship for the Los Angeles Dodgers.

An agreement was reached with the Dodgers; the all-new KXTA would be 50,000 watts by the start of spring training in 1998. This meant we had just a short lead time in building the new transmitter plant.

We hadn't the time to scout and build new towers, so we worked a deal to share the towers and transmitter space with another 50,000 watt station, KTNQ, on 1020 kHz.

After their towers had been up for a few years, two warehouses were built around the five of them. The means that there are 5 wells, (or chimneys) in the warehouse roofs where the towers stick out some 475 feet into the sky.

These show the 165 foot ditch between the two warehouses. It has 2 ea. 6" PVC conduits,( which carry the two 1-5/6" lines for two of the towers, and 2 3-1/8" Heliax lines for one tower, and the other as a spare. The ditch also has one 4" conduit for the control cables (to switch the towers from day to night pattern)

The Transmitter Room, with the racks coming together, and one of the two Harris DX-50 Transmitters. The room itself used to be the garage for the KTNQ 'FiestaMobile'
When we had trouble leasing transmitter space, they made it part of the tower lease.
The heliax stubs, sticking out the top of the cablechase on the front of a warehouse. These were spliced to rigid lines, and then went down to the wooden trestles carrying them across the roof to the Antenna Tuning Units.

When two 50,000 watt stations that close together in frequency share the same towers, some huge filters and antenna tuning units are needed.

This is what it took to get them into place !!

Copyright 2005 by Vital Sounds - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED